Milwaukee Green Schools have Green Infrastructure!
A green school is a place that promotes environmental education and is more environmentally friendly. Green schools have many potential environmental and social benefits including:
- Reduced Hard Surfaces and Stormwater Runoff
- Increased Green Space and Outdoor Play Space
- Arts Engagement, Eco-literacy Projects, and Healthy Living Initiatives
- Reduced Energy and Water Costs
- Improved Student and Teacher Engagement
Stormwater related green infrastructure (GI) is the practice of stormwater management that improves the health of our watersheds more naturally. You can do things like plant trees, install rain barrels to harvest stormwater, or create rain or vegetable gardens. The great thing about green infrastructure, is that there are many ways to get involved to help the environment, the following are a few project examples: